msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses-manure rules
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:27:03 -0500

It is a requirement for all of our MSAR team members to be self-supporting resource for 72 hours, which means all team members supply there own food and water for both horse and rider. Our team will always have a Base Camp Manager on site who will be tasked with logistics. The last thing we want to do is be a burden to a search manager, so all that is needed is a task assignment..

About a year ago our team was deployed to Williamsport PA and the search manager thought that he needed to supply us with food and water. He was relieved when we advised him when we told him all that we needed was space. As for manure regs, we have been known to carry ours out. Although your dumpster idea does have merit, after all it will end up in a landfill.

Tomi`
Commander
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland
irvin lichtenstein wrote:

If you anticipate having large numbers of horses in an area where they are
not often "stabled" make sure search management (or you) arrange for water,
hay, and cleanup. If it is more than one day a Dumpster would probably work
in most areas. Just remember, in PA manure haulers must be licensed, so
don't tell anyone what is in the container.