msar-riders - [MSAR] Equine vs 4 Wheeler

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: The Hitchn Post <hitchnup@msn.com>
  • To: msar-riders <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Equine vs 4 Wheeler
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:00:37 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

Hello to all MSAR:

Just wanted to talk a little about the different Search & Rescue
groups. In my area we have the Search & Rescue under the SO this group
has been active for over 20 years,, their main source of search vehicle
is the 4 wheeler they are the main search & rescue group. Then we have
mounted we have been active for about 7 years. The Fire Dept has rope
rescue.

We are called out very seldom, and when we are it's a good 24 hrs or
more before they make the call. It is the same with the K-9 group that
is only 40 min away, I also have a K-9 in training and work with both
Mounted and K-9. It has been frustrating to say the least. They don't
think much of any other source but the 4 wheelers.

I have approached them as Commander of the Mounted Unit to let us get
together for some practice searches so they might better know how to
deploy us and so we can learn how they work, we are very willing to work
under them, for they are the main SAR and will be the one's to call us
in. And also the K-9 units should be called in right away. They don't
think horses can go were 4 wheelers can. ( I've had a couple of them
actually tell me that) I don't think they have even been around a horse.
Four wheelers have to stay on a trail, I know this because I just bought
a quad and live on a ranch with sage and Pinion Pine just like most
areas we would be searching in and when I rode off the trail in the sage
( after it about beat me to death) I realized I was to busy making my
way around all the trees and big sage bushes I couldn't be looking for a
lost person too.

I can let go of my reins and concentrate on my job at hand for my
faithful campaign and trusty steed will see me though without ruining
over large sage, rocks, or trees. ( except sometimes she forgets about
me when judging the height of a branch she's going under!!)

At any rate I was wondering if any one had some suggestions of how we
might get all of these units working together. I do want to say that the
4 wheeler SAR are very well train and do a good job they just aren't
reaching out and using all their resource's. We also train every week
and take a lot of time out of our already busy schedules to put back to
the community we all enjoy living in.

Thanks Pam Williams
Iron County, UT MSAR