msar-riders - [MSAR] Training opportunities for S&R and Mounted posse groups

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sandy Siegrist (HEISEY)" <Sandy.Siegrist@microsoft.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Training opportunities for S&R and Mounted posse groups
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:23:11 -0400

[This post is an infomercial from a non-subscriber, but I am
approving it for posting here anyway, sans HTML. -Una]

Several of the groups represented here have expressed interest in recent
weeks in some sort of specialized training for Search and Rescue work.

I would like to recommend two courses to get you started on some
specialized training for both you and your horses. These courses are
taught by a former mounted police officer. As you can imagine, officers
and their horses are asked to ride in all sorts of scary and dangerous
situations. They must be prepared to handle both people on the ground as
well as go in to locations that might be frightening or dangerous for
their horses.

Who better to teach you?

Scot Hansen (www.HorseThink.com) provides training for horses and
riders, working with both the public as well as law enforcement. He
also teaches specialized clinics for volunteer Mounted Posse,
Backcountry Horseman clubs, and S&R groups throughout the U.S.

First, you can take a course in Self Defense for Trail Riders. This is
a special class designed to help riders defend themselves while
horseback riding on the trails. These days we're all concerned with our
personal safety. While there are many ways to be safe in our homes, our
places of work, and some parks and recreation areas, there are few
safety measures for us when we are out on the trails with our horses.
This is especially important for riders like yourselves who are riding
in the back country or remote areas -- encountering hikers and other
unknowns.

The clinic will show riders what to do when confronted by an assailant
while riding. Instead of simply whirling their horse and galloping
away, riders learn how to anticipate trouble, what to say, how to react,
and how to use their horse to their advantage. The students bring their
horses and learn firsthand the theories and maneuvers needed to stay
safe and out of reach of an assailant. Riders learn how to use the power
of their horse to help them, building assurance in themselves and
confidence in their horse. In addition, the horses will develop
confidence and increased trust in their riders.

The three-hour long course includes a series of activities for the horse
and rider both from the ground and from the saddle. The riders will
learn how to execute the maneuvers as well as experiencing the
techniques from the ground as mock assailants. The course is limited to
a small number of people for safety as well as to allow each rider the
time to learn the skills and practice them.

Second, Scot can customize a "bombproofing" clinic for your group. You
will learn how to teach your horse to be brave and bold, and how he can
take you into the back country to do your work as a reliable and safe
mount. The sensory training that Scot can provide for you and teach you
how to continue with your horses is invaluable to your safety as you do
your S&R work.

If you're interested in learning more about how to bring Scot to your
area for a clinic, please contact me at Sandy@HorseThink.com or by phone
at 425-830-6260 and I will provide all of the details.=20

Sandy Siegrist

www.HorseThink.com

425-830-6260