msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Recruiting

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Recruiting
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:36:57 -0600

Ian Vowles wrote:
>A two edged sword !
[...]
>do we really want a lot of bodies just for the sake of numbers
>or do we want to be selective ?

We struggle with this question every year. I think there is a
narrow middle ground, because it is not easy to select people
who will make good MSAR volunteers a few years down the road.
If I had a crystal ball, then certainly I would be selective,
but I don't, so what can I do, but wait and see? Definitely
avoid swamping your team with too many newbies all at once;
tell the most marginal ones thanks a lot but maybe next year?
Or invite all newbies to a team gathering where you do a Year
In Review talk and slideshow. Show high and low points, if you
have photos of them. The great summer rides and the clinics,
and the knee deep winter mud and miserable cold. Snappy new
team shirts, and filthy old ones after a long mission. Party
food, and trail food.

One mistake we have made in the past, that I hope to avoid in
the future, is to invite newbies to fun events that give them
the impression we are a recreational/social club. That's not
fair to anyone involved.