msar-riders - [MSAR] Trailing dog confused(?) by MSAR team

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Anonymous c/o Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Trailing dog confused(?) by MSAR team
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:41:01 -0600

[Busy day. Here is another situation from someone who wishes
to be Anonymous. -Una]

We did a mock search and my mounted team as always was sent out
first for our hasty search and to set up security. We found an
article dropped by the subject and radioed it in. A trailing
dog team wasn't far behind. I radioed for further instructions,
asking if we should move on our original route or drop back and
flank the trailing dog. The radio cut in and out and I heard
"go ahead". Since I had asked the last question I thought the
instruction was addressed to us. This was my mistake. I soon
realized the mistake, stopped, turned and asked the trailing
dog handler if they wanted me to stay put or return to not mess
up the dog. The handler did not answer, but then pulled the
dog from our direction, thinking the dog was trying to follow
our horses. The dog then went the opposite way, on a long goose
chase. The handler later said horses should never be allowed
to go ahead of any dog. This I think is wrong; a trailing dog
should be able to distinguish horse scent from human.