msar-riders - [MSAR] 9/11 Communications at the World Trade Center

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] 9/11 Communications at the World Trade Center
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:09:52 -0400

[I deleted HTML duplicate and copy of news article; please use the
URL. -Una]

Folks,

I know I am a radio geek, but I thought you might be interested to read
the story below from the New York Daily News. I have underlined parts
that I found interesting. Specifically, "the problem may have simply
been caused by a broken earpiece or the volume being turned down too
low." and "Lack of timely information-sharing and inadequate
communications capabilities likely contributed to the loss of emergency
responder lives,"

This is why it is important to know how your radio works and how to
check it in the field. Doing regular health and welfare checks can not
be over stated. This is why all teams should practice communications
before you go into the field.

Larry Raskin WB3DAJ
Communications officer TROT-SAR

From: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/297065p-254327c.html
New York Daily News
Wednesday, April 6th, 2005

Probe clears radio gear in WTC chaos

  • [MSAR] 9/11 Communications at the World Trade Center, Raskin, Larry, 04/09/2005