msar-riders - [MSAR] New Equine Scent Detection Web site

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Terry Nowacki <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] New Equine Scent Detection Web site
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:59:33 -0500

[I removed HTML duplicate and repaired bad linebreaks. -Una]

ATTENTION - All Law Enforcement Agencies, MSAR Personnel and Natural
Horsemanship Enthusiasts

Due to an overwhelming growing interest and use of scent detection
horses, I have developed a new web site that will better serve the
potential of the equine search tool.

http://www.airscentinghorse.com has now been changed to
http://www.equinedetectionservices.com

After years of training scent detection horses across the US I have
learned that we have only just scratched the surface of the equine
potential in the detection field. Scent detection is the last equine
frontier.

New Major Break Throughs
The site equinedetectionservices.com features loads of new
information including major break throughs and research accomplished
in this exciting new field. Examples include: my greatly improved
training methods, previously undiscovered equine sign language, and
my work being done with Narcotic Detection Horses.

New And Improved Clinic Format
When I started putting on equine scent detection clinics, I was the
first to pioneer this lost art. Since I was the first I had no one to
imitate or copy. My information was original, not learned from a book
but instead learned from in the field trials, test, training many
horses and actual SAR missions. As I broke new ground, some of my
first clinics may have been a little rough around the edges. MSAR
groups still enjoyed and learned from them. Using my methods, my
students have successfully put on their own demonstrations in front
of law enforcement. Some groups have even had me come back up as much
as up to three years in a row. Experience is the best learning tool,
so as I journeyed down this unexplored path, I learned how to improve
my people training skills.( I always knew how to train the horses,
but it was the people that I had to figure out how to train) For my
05 clinics, I use a completely new and improved format. My clinics
now feature new easier training methods, and a lot more in the saddle
participation. At my last three day clinic on the west coast (March
2005), participants comments were as follows, " I was so excited that
I could not sleep, I could not wait until the following days
instruction began." and "This was the best MSAR training we ever
had." As a matter of fact this group gave me a very generous deposit
for a 2006 clinic just so they would be guaranteed a date. I believe
the deposit for 06 proves how much they enjoyed and valued the
weekend . Letters of recommendation and clinic review are available
on past clinics.

Natural Horsemanship
Besides the obvious advantages equine detection offers law
enforcement and SAR it also fills a major void for those folks
interested in Natural Horsemanship.The goal of Natural Horsemanship
is to develop a relationship between horse and human using methods
that are natural to the horse which will improve of communication and
co-operation. Equine scent detection is Natural Horsemanship in its
purest form. Riding scent detection horses provides the natural
enthusiast a perfect, first of its kind, avenue for learning equine
sign language. During detection training you will develop an
understanding of previously undiscovered equine sign language and
rely totally on it in order to achieve your detection goal. Horses
can learn to use scenting to locate a variety of sources that range
from missing people all the way to your horses favorite toy. Equine
scent detection is the ultimate horsemanship game and challenge.
This is the first step in forming a bond and building natural
communication between horse and rider. I have proven how effective
and strong this bond can be by winning a state wide law enforcement
obstacle competition (60 entries) with a perfect score using my
5-year-old scent detection horse. Learning to read your horses sign
language will help you develop a partnership with your horse that is
second to none. This bond/partnership will help you advance in all
horsemanship skills, in all disciplines.

Constructive feedback, suggestions or ideas on what you'd like
included on the site are welcomed and appreciated. Please e mail me
privately. You can make contact with me through my web site or
wwfarm@wiktel.com

Thanks for your time and any future suggestions.

TER
Terry Nowacki
Professional Horse Trainer and Clinician
Training Officer and Director for Marshall County Mounted Sheriff's
Posse - An 80 plus membership SAR organization.

  • [MSAR] New Equine Scent Detection Web site, Terry Nowacki, 03/30/2005