msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Journalism and telling a story

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Journalism and telling a story
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:59:00 -0700

Lee Farren wrote:
>Journalists don't quote without permission. If you talk to me, knowing I'm
>a journalist working on a story (and I'll make sure you know), you give your
>permission.

Lee, I think I know what you mean, but for the sake of clarity
please expand. By "talk" do you mean a private telephone call
or off-list exchange of e-mail? Or do you mean anything posted
here that touches on your interest you will consider fair game?

I suggest again that you consider telling the real story of a
mock search. You would find more people more willing to share
the details, and a mock search has other virtues as well: it
tends to be a relatively long search, involving many more SAR
responders and more elaborate and interesting situations than
most real missions. And the subject is much more likely to be
willing to tell their part. Real missions rarely are as long,
involve as many responders, or are as technically interesting,
except when there is tragedy involved.

Good luck with your story.

Whatever story you tell, you might do a service to the public
and to all MSAR teams if you would mention there are hundreds
if not thousands of teams worldwide; over two hundred with
web pages are listed on http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/.