msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Helmets supply

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Edususan@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Helmets supply
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:20:12 EST

hi! helmets do indeed work, just not in every situation. i also ride a
motorcycle.
it is just that in my years of EMS work, i find that we can't always avoid
accidents, just manage our risk. i have seen people survive amazing wrecks
and
others killed and you wonder why. hence the mixed feelings. at 80mph a
helmet
wont help you on a cycle. at 10 mph it could be the difference between brain
injury and not. same holds true for riding horses. best thing is to avoid a
wreck. but the helmet will help you more in a minor accident than major.
that's all. i don't judge a persons decision one way or another, but have
taken
to wearing a helmet mostly because my kids insist on it. and the light ones
i mentioned are actually quite comfortable. sorry i don't know of a website
off hand, but the new mexico department of health has some information if you
contact them regarding traumatic brain injury and recently have moved to put
more helmets on ski slopes via a grant. good luck in your search! susan