msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounting

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mary Duffy <mduffy2727@juno.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounting
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:02:58 -0500

Our unit is required (as a human) to be able to ground mount.
There is no specification for mounting from both sides. I will say that
as a part of my teaching in my everyday life ( I am a riding instructor)
and in MSAR, I strongly encourage people to use whatever is handy to
assist them in getting on. Even though we (MSAR) must be able to mount
from the ground, it is not the best thing for our horses. Another
consideration in using whatever might be around is that with all of our
personalprofessional gear, our saddle, and us wearing vests, radios, gps,
cell phones...etc on our person.........getting on efficiently from the
ground isn't practical.
Like Jorene, both of my current MSAR horses, and another I sold
last year........all are under 15 hands. Easier to get on (and duck
branches too), but still carrying a load with all my gear. I think BEING
ABLE to ground mount is vital, but not an every mount every time. In
our part of the country (New England) it is also REALLY EASY to find a
rock, log, or ditch to make mounting easier for us...........but
especially to make it less of a stress for our mounts.
Mary

Mary C. Duffy
Lucky Rooster Farm - Registered Missouri Fox Trotters
MASOOI Mounted SAR - Equine Medic
http://www.masooi.org

Message: 2