msar-riders - [MSAR] Typing for MSAR / Consistency in MSAR / horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Typing for MSAR / Consistency in MSAR / horse sense
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:07:00 -0800

From: pennbo@bbv.net
Good ideas- isn't this what NASAR's MSAR committee had posted online as a survey? Jorene? I know I participated but the website has problems and I never could get subbed to start receiving posts. But if I recall correctly the questions were along this line.

susan anielski wrote:
Hello,
The keystone of consistency within any training goal is to define the end
result. [...]
=============
NASAR MSAR is pretty much on hold until we see what will end up in ASTM standards for MSAR - the ASTM process should start in the next month or so. Meanwhile, I've been playing with some ideas for Typing for national standards that might be suitable for the general Mounted SAR resource. Thought I'd run the concept past the group here since there are so many experienced MSAR participating in discussion.

I'm seeing common ground in MSAR across the country, and even internationally, that could be considered a core expectation for MSAR. From that status, locals could pursue more specialized skills as needed, like Wilderness or Urban MSAR. But first we'd need that "core" that is common to the generic MSAR, so there is consistency at the foundation of all MSAR.

I think the Typing system is a good way to identify general expectations. I'm thinking perhaps 4 "Type" categories for the general MSAR that addresses moderate terrain and environment challenges. (Suburban, rural. Not wilderness/backcountry.) Perhaps others can share their thoughts on the general concept?

* Type 4: This would be support personnel with basic MSAR training to demonstrate fundamental horse knowledge and handling skills. Basic training in ICS and fundamental SAR, without being considered field ready. Support would provide assistance at Incident camp, haul trailers to drop off / pick up mounted teams on mission assignments, transport personnel and supplies, etc.

* Type 3: This would be the generic MSAR field teams. Personnel have appropriate ground SAR training. Confirm the horse/mule is calm and reliable, and the rider has appropriate skills to control the horse. (Obstacles, sensory challenges, etc.) Demonstrate SAR ground skills transferred to the saddle. Add MSAR-specific skills and gear. Day searching, but prepared for emergency overnight in the field. First Aid current. Able to package for litter carry or helicopter extraction. Can provide mounted evacuation / transport (subject a passenger in the saddle) if the subject doesn't need a litter.

* Type 2: Same as Type 3, but prepared to search at night. (This requires additional training for horse and rider.)

* Type 1: Same as Type 2, but add more rider skills and knowledge ... including Team Leader related skills.

Would something like this be a good series of Types for general MSAR? (The wording may not be precise - I'm more concerned with thoughts regarding the concept at this point.) If not, what would you do differently?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar