msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] The First Tested Cadaver Horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] The First Tested Cadaver Horses
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:25:18 -0800

Una said
> Good for you!

Thanks

Una said-
> Doing the test both ways, with and without blindfold, helps a lot.

No matter which way you look at it proves it can be done.
Use your self for a example if you can do it blindfolded you can do it
easier without a blindfold.
I have done tests and demonstrations both ways- Trust me when it is
something
new a small minority of skeptics are impossible to convince. It impossible
to cover every base. I just try
to convince the majority, which are the open minded ones. How much do want
to bet if the horses were not blindfolded, people would have said they were
searching by site or looking at me for cues???????? Trust me I have heard
it all.

Please remember this test was done in front of witnesses and I was not on
site when the material was hidden. I had no idea where it was.

Una said -For what it's worth, I am in the "I want to see it
> for myself" camp. That is the natural attitude of a scientist
> and is not a reflection on you or the idea of airscenting horses.

As for wanting to seeing it for your self, you are not alone. Please
remember others on this list have seen my demonstrations plus have even seen
their own horses locate by scent.
Everyone thinks training horses for scenting is difficult. It's not, it is
so easy because it is natural.
I have competed in reining classes that were nationally approved. We can
make horses slide on their hind legs up to 40 feet like a down hill skier.
Trust me training a horse to scent locate is absolutely simple compared to
that.

You folks would be surprised to hear that on a dog scenting list some very
experienced k9 handlers are totally excepting this because scenting is not
a mystery to them they know how it works.

Always a pleasure.

Thanks for your comments.

TER