msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR Standards (Part 1)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-L" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR Standards (Part 1)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:46:24 -0700

(Resending since this post from last Friday was blocked by the "size" restriction ...)

This looks like a good opportunity to share the direction we're heading developing nationwide / international standards for Mounted SAR (MSAR), so I'll provide a fast overview of anticipated expectations. (Input appreciated!) I also have a document available that provides an overview with more specific information.

In general, and in no particular order ...
- Require the rider to have good ground SAR training, and have the expectation that that person won't always be mounted.
- Require rider training / testing specific to being mounted during a SAR, including transferring ground skills to the saddle. (Mounted Tracking,
riding search formation, etc.) Include an expectation for at least a basic level of horse care knowledge, including fundamentals of Equine First Aid.
(Get more serious about Equine First Aid if your teams have potential to be more remote.)
- Require horse (or mule) and rider dismounted and mounted testing - obstacle course, loud noises, etc - in the arena / field to determine if
that horse-rider combo is likely to be safe in various environments. Have established automatic disqualification rules regarding that testing..
- Include a Mock SAR (confirm the ability to perform a distance ride in common search terrain) with MSAR demonstrating the ability to do an
emergency overnight in the field. Also have a planned overnight if that is suited to your operational area.
- Merge the SAR Pack requirements with what is also needed for Mounted. Some items can be double-duty. Encourage "pack light" in MSAR, who more commonly weighs down the horse with traditional trail riding gear.
- Include minimum standards for gear, horse feed and horse water in the horse trailer for response
- Require extra training/testing and appropriate gear for more specialized mounted response, like Wilderness MSAR or Urban MSAR.
- Consider Mounted Packing as an option. (Packing is not limited to Wilderness response, nor is it limited to the traditional pack saddle and
panniers. Lots of versatility is available with packing capabilities, including carrying gear for non-Mounted personnel.)
- Recommend including some health-related requirements regarding the horse, and making sure the horse trailers meet your region's safety standards.
- Helicopter desensitization for the horse if helicopters are used in your Mutual Aid region.
- I probably forgot something since I'm writing this from memory. ;)

(see Part 2)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

  • [MSAR] Mounted SAR Standards (Part 1), Jorene Downs, 10/18/2004