msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Equine evacuation preparedness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "philip easley" <easleyranch@foothill.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Equine evacuation preparedness
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 22:00:51 -0700

Here in Nevada County, we had a big disaster during the 49er fire that
burned over 15,000 acres including 500 homes. We mobilized our Sheriff's
Mounted Posse to evacuate the large animals in its path. They came back
with scorched paint jobs, burnt uniforms, and lots of livestock. We heavily
utilized the County Fairgrounds and several of the large horse ranches with
irrigated pasture. The only things that would not burn. There were
numerous horror stories from posse members and deputy sheriffs of horses and
mules turning past them and plunging into the flames. I am glad you brought
this up, because after that fire in 1989, we made a plan. I believe it is
well outdated and needs to be overhauled with the posse no longer in
existence along with some of the outfits that were willing to donate
supplies and pasture to keep the animals. I will bring it up at the next
board meeting.
Philip Easley
Nevada County Sheriff's Search & Rescue Inc.....