msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Equine evacuation preparedness

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: scotland@mindspring.com
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Equine evacuation preparedness
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:04:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Una,

Contact John Douglass of the Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control
Equine Emergency Response Team ERT). This is an organization that evacuates
primarily horses out of disaster areas, although we have been know to take
camels, zebras, or anything else we can get in our horse trailers. This is
not a flyby night group, the ERT is an organized well trained group of
Volunteers that go through some pretty intense training to meet certain
levels. We had several deployments out here in California during the recent
fires where we evacuated well over 300 horses in 4 days.

You can contact John Douglass at jdouglass@traceww.com, John is the Assistant
Dirctor of the program and can give you some pretty good ideas on what
training needs to be done in priority. Trust me, you won't be sorry you
contact him. He is also involved in an MSAR unit they are trying to develop.
Who knows, maybe one back can scratch the other.

J. Lamb