msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 15, Issue 6

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ted (SAR)" <sar@empowering.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 15, Issue 6
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:33:38 -0500

Hi TER,

Congratulations on your "FIND".

Even in such a tragic time for her parents, you & your team as well as the
hundreds of other searchers provided a way for her family to morn & progress
to closure and that will mean more to them down the road.

I just want you to know that the feelings & emotions you are going through
are normal. Everyone copes differently, whether in a mild or severe manner.
Your emotions will be going ramped as well as your mind going over & over
it. If you & or your team members have problems dealing with this, PLEASE,
DO NOT bottle it up (It will eat you up inside), Talk about it (Only in
confidence with in your team or with a professional).

Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) is a great way do debrief or
defuse if people are having a hard time coping.

I don't want you or your team to feel that I think you can not deal with
this or you are unable function after this find. I have been doing SAR for
over 22 years & EMS for over 18 Years, I have been there & seen a lot of bad
situations. I have been through 2 CISM debriefings & it works.

Again, Congratulations & keep up the great work, Ted

Ted E. Lohr, EMT-P
N9WDS
NASAR SAR Tech II
Chief - Metro East Search and Rescue
Chief - Metro East Cave Rescue Task Force
AVEC-SAR, CAP, SCSESA.
Stygian Grotto
Madison County SkyWarn
Member: NASAR #123688 & NSS #51516