msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Baby announcement

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Baby announcement
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:16:57 -0600

Chris Pennington wrote:
>The answer to NAK and housework and a variety of other things is a baby
>sling!

Yes, slings are a life-saver! I have two, one my mother sent,
one I bought many years ago in Peru where every woman and many
men wear one at all times, for carrying babies, shopping, what
have you. And a front carrier thing.

Sadly, William hasn't figured out yet how to nurse except when
we both lie down. We're working on it.

The Peruvian sling is hand woven, and has an inscription worked
into it, in Spanish: "In memory of <name> <date>". The women
who sold it to me just looked sad when I asked very obliquely
about the inscription. I teared up, and one woman said to the
others "she understands". I thought at the time that the sling
had been meant for a new baby who died. So in a peculiar way
I feel good about carrying my baby in that sling; its purpose
is fulfilled.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico