msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Night Searching

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm'-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Night Searching
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:39:33 -0500

Battery operated glow sticks are popular with our team too.  I agree that shadows caused from a bright light can make searching  confusing because of the created shadowing.  I have found that using a "red" L.E.D. flood light attached to my helmet works really well for looking into the woods and keeping an eye on my horse.  The passive red beam causes minimum light blindness and the beam also does not cause shadows.  I mount the red light above the visor so it allows for maximum dilation of the eyes pupils. Of course I do have a couple of bright (white) light sources available,  but try and refrain from using it since it takes a couple of minutes for my night vision to return.

We use reflective vests too and according to a helicopter crew who search with bright spotlights, we are very visible at night.  A few team members place a very small L.E.D. blinking/flashing light on their back for added visibility and safety to anyone approaching from the rear.   The blinking red lights can be found at any bike shop and cost under ten dollars.

Tomi' (TROT-2)
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
State of Maryland

Bdurham05201@aol.com wrote:
We have done night training, even considering and experimenting with different lights.  We have found the best lighting for mounted searching is glow sticks hung from the horses breast collar.  That offers him and us a soft continues light, avoiding causing night blindness by the lights being turned on and off or being flashed in or near his face, causing him the need for several minutes for his eyes to readjust only to have the light flash his way again.  Also the bright lights can cause confusion as you move along shinning into the trees and brush. You think you see things that arent their because you are making the shadows move.