msar-riders - [MSAR] Night MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Night MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:23:27 -0800

We respond to all night calls. Our problem has been in getting the
powers that be to call us out on night calls as a mounted unit. Again- a
matter of education. We are capable of searching many areas at night and
are trying to get that concept into general knowledge. The problem that
we worry about is the destruction of evidence and tracks as not as much
is visible at night. We do train during the summer at night- generally
at least once a month. We haven't trained during winter months at night
although all of us are prepared, and ready for, winter call-outs.

To clarify, we respond to all night call-outs both mounted and not. We
do what we can for each mission even if the equines don't get to
participate. <g>

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR