msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Search for Dru - part 2

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Search for Dru - part 2
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:59:55 -0700

Ter,

I am eagerly awaiting parts 3-N... And your debrief reminds me to
finish *my* debrief from Ian Vowles' big mock search back in August
in Colorado. I wrote a lot about it the week I got back, but have
been putting it off until I finish shooting all the relevant film
rolls and get them developed. These debriefs are alway valuable,
both to the writer and to other SAR responders.

We had a search yesterday morning, which as all too often happens
involved our mounted team being called out for the 3rd operational
period (management thinks we cannot/won't search at night? Dunno).
A child ran off from his mom Sunday late afternoon while hiking at
9000 feet in steep ponderosa forest in the Valles Caldera area.
Sunday was relatively warm but before dawn Monday a storm moved in,
producing a very dangerous (for the child) mixture of freezing rain
and snow. Mom was smart: she searched no more than 30 minutes
before calling for help. The child was found Monday late morning
in good condition.

Anyway, a few lessons relearned / reminders: make a habit to fill
your vehicle's tank on your way home. This can cut 15+ minutes off
your response time. Plan ahead for trailering and riding in winter
conditions. Think about your horse's shoes. Does your horse need
a blanket in the trailer? How to keep your gallons of SAR water on
board from freezing? If the trailer has rubber mats, do they get
slippery when icy/wet?

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico