msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Search for Dru - part 2

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: JULIE FRANCO <snowyridgeranch@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Search for Dru - part 2
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:01:20 -0800 (PST)

Please let there be a part three and more! Your experiences are not only interesting but educational and all of us not involved can feel a little bit more informed with your experience! Thank you for sharing! Julie Franco Peninsula Mounted SAR, Kitsap Co. Washington

wwfarm <wwfarm@wiktel.com> wrote:
Search for Dru - Part 2
December 4

 Don't let your feelings get hurt.  The first day or so we did not officially get called
out. The search was not in our county. Ours is not to reason why, ours is but
to do or at least try!
We waited until the call went out to the public for help. We
 then went as an organized group without our colors flying. We knew we had a
 lot to offer in one way or another. When we arrived, two of the head law
enforcement officers said,  "Thank goodness your team is here".
In all the confusion it seems we had been over looked.

Be Humble. Before we went to the search, we had a meeting of our directors.
We decided ahead of time on a politically correct way to approach search
 management. We decided that we would not go in expecting them to
recognize our skill levels. Since the county where the search was held does
 have an  excellent  Sheriffs Posse and Fire Rescue squad that normally handles
 SAR we wanted to handle this situation delicately being careful not to
ruffle territorial feathers.

Offer, Do Not Expect. We offered our assistance to search management
without expecting a major role as we have had in other SAR missions. First
thing in the morning some of our top team leaders were assigned to different
teams under less experienced leaders. They did what they were told and only
offered suggestions. Search management soon recognized our experience, and
 by noon the first day we were assigned our own base camp with volunteers assigned
to us for deployment. They may not have had much choice, with 1300 volunteers this
day and a potential crime scene that was about 40 miles long and 15 miles wide according
to tips and clues. It was WILD! No matter how it all came about, our team was once
 again together and things started rolling like a well greased wheel! Separately we are
not half as good as we are together, we complement and recognize each others
strong points.

 Be Prepared. Our mobil base camp is our Sheriff's suburban along with our
posse trailer, which is decaled just like a sheriff's patrol car with our
posse name on it. We carry everything from proper paper work, photo copy machine,
 duck boat, generators, heaters, communication equipment, etc.  The command
center tells us where to set up and we take different groups  under our wing
and deploy as needed. We used our duck boat to check out  rivers that were
 3/4 frozen over. We also brought harrow sections to pull behind our ATVs to
 help kick out possible evidence in road ditches that had 3 to 5  inches of
snow in them. (A specialized search technique that our team developed.)
Individually It was a real challenge to be prepared, chemical and electric hand and
feet warmers were a poplar item. It was hard to figure out how much clothing to wear.
 For a quarter of a mile you could be working hard walking through wooden areas and getting
  overly  warm. The next quarter mile you would be out in a 30 mph wind and freeze.

Act Professional. The command center was being manned by law enforcement
 management types with whom  we were not familiar.  We relied on our training
 to keep a professional image. When we turned in our paper work,  all the Ts were
crossed and the Is were dotted, and management  personnel  began to
take notice. After a couple days, we were put in the heart of prime search areas.

 Note from TER - Trust me, we learned a lot more but since the search is  still on I do
not have time to continue at this point. If there is interest I will share more in the future.

Yesterday was another wild day, reports are saying 1700 volunteers! One of our
team went up in a plane, he said it was unbelievable! It looked like the whole county was
moving!

TER