msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Horses Air Scent?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jeff Ezell" <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Horses Air Scent?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:50:29 -0600

Kevin Stokes wrote:

 They do not air scent or track like dogs, but they have a highly developed sense of hearing, smell, and eyesight.

I remind all of the pioneering work Terry Nowacki has done training horses to air scent humans. www.airscentinghorse.com You may want to consider working on this with one of your horses. Obviously we all need to be careful about discussing or promoting this capability with agencies. It will probably take a long time for this to be an accepted capability once perfected. Think about how long the K9 folks have been working to get accepted. Why not give your horse something else to do while out there searching? None of us yet know if this will develop into a full fledged SAR resource tool and an airscenting horse can go "clear" an area. If I were lost and your horse found me because you worked on this capability, I would be very happy you took the time to allow your horse to do it. Wouldn't any lost person's family?

Hey Una & Jorene how about some Equine NASAR SAR Tech III Airscenting certification standards and training? Ha! Think you're challenged now? Wait 'til that one hits the fan!

Terry is coming to Houston to do an air scenting clinic for www.texasequusearch.org November 28-30. It's warmer in Houston at that time so some might want to come enjoy and learn. There may still be some horse training slots available for those within trailering distance. Please contact me and we'll help you with accommodations any way I can. Y'all come, ya hear!

Jeff Ezell
US Regional Search Dogs
US Search Affiliates

...to Search...to Save...