msar-riders - [MSAR] Mounted SAR and Dogs

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "John Fourcade" <jfourcade@caddosheriff.org>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Mounted SAR and Dogs
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:05:27 -0500

Howdy Y'all,
    Rather new to the list, but I do have some input on working with dogs.  We recently held a training where our mounted patrol worked with our K-9 unit.  It was more or less to get both the horses and the dogs used to each other.  Since we are a law enforcement agency, we may have the duty of tracking down fugitives from horseback.  We trained on two scenarios.  The first was a lost hunter where we searched on horseback for a possible start point for the tracking dog.  Then we followed the K-9 handler,  since we could see more on horseback than he could on foot.  We were also capable of carrying the lost individual if need be.  Our second scenario was to locate a clandestine lab with the aid of narcotics detector K-9's.  Again, we would look for evidence of possible activity, then start the K-9's.  We were better able to search the thick brush on horseback.  Both scenarios were successful and we learned much.
    Understand that we are in NW Louisiana and our terrain is basically rolling hills and very thick underbrush.  No mountains here, but lots of heat and humidity!

Lt. John G. Fourcade
XO, Patrol Division
Caddo Parish Sheriff's Office
(318) 681-1117

"Freedom has a price that the protected will never know."