msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] West Nile Virus

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] West Nile Virus
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:59:50 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 02:50:51PM -0700, Jorene Downs wrote:
> >WNV "problem" reports appear to be more related to horse breeding
programs
> >and the vaccine. (Unconfirmed rumor is the initial small test herd for
the
> >vaccine did not include any pregnant mares.)
>
> USDA has a statement about this, denying a statistical link
> between vaccination and abortions:
> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/wnv/wnv_vaccine.html

I found that link many months ago, early in the 2003 foaling / breeding
season. The number of suspicious incidents related to equine reproduction
(not just abortions, but deformities in foals) that have been reported with
possible links to the WNV vaccine has increased since USDA put that web
page. I know people through horse discussion groups with seasoned "never a
problem" broodmares that came up empty after previously testing pregnant -
in some cases multiple mares in the same broodmare band - with no reason yet
identified. Others report "never a problem" broodmares not conceiving, with
$thousands invested in testing and no reason indicated. No known changes in
the herd environment ... except for the use of WNV vaccine. Perhaps a small
percentage, but whatever the cause is, there are breeders in financial
straits with inexplicably open mares and no return on their investment.

The potential that the WNV vaccine might be related to reproductive problems
is obviously a topic of interest to breeders. I wouldn't hesitate to give
the WNV vaccine to the general herd, but I'm not convinced it is entirely
safe for the broodmares. As they state on their web site, USDA continues to
gather information. The only change I notice in that web page is USDA is now
openly encouraging email and phone calls from owners and vets who believe
there may be a relationship between a problem and the WNV vaccine. If it
develops there is a relationship, perhaps we'll get lucky and it is as
simple as the timing of giving the vaccine as related to the reproductive
timing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA