msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] West Nile Virus

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] West Nile Virus
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:50:51 -0700

WNV "problem" reports appear to be more related to horse breeding programs
and the vaccine. (Unconfirmed rumor is the initial small test herd for the
vaccine did not include any pregnant mares.)

I'm in a lower risk area with not near as many mosquitoes as some. In my
search for methods to reduce our local mosquito population I discovered the
Mosquito Dunk. Drop it in the horse trough, pond, etc., and the emerging
larvae will feed on the Mosquito Dunk and die. Made of some bacteria that is
safe for animals and humans. Cost in my situation is about $10/month for a
6-pack of Mosquito Dunks, and this appears to be a functioning solution.
This reduces the local mosquito population, then can be supplemented by some
method of protection - premises spray, repellent, horse sheets, etc. - as
needed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA