msar-riders - [MSAR] Expanding mounted SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thomas and Christy Matthews" <tcmatthews0113@msn.com>
  • To: "mounted sar list" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Expanding mounted SAR
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 18:45:07 -0600

Hi everyone, my name is Christy from Stillwater County Montana SAR. I've
mostly been lurking and really have gained from it. Our county started a
mounted SAR unit this year We are fortunate to have several expert back
county outfitters in our area that we've used in a pinch in the past and
were finally able to get them to join the county SAR unit. Since we are a
small group of about 18 total we don't have specialty teams, we are all
required to attend trainings in all areas including high-angle, swiftwater,
man tracking, map and compass, ice rescue. All of our people also get
additional medical training and are at least Wilderness Advanced first aid
trained. We also decided that all our people should at minimum be trained in
horse safety, so that those on foot have a good basic understanding of what
not to do around a horse. Basicly all of our msar people can do anything in
search we might require. I currently am an X-horse person as I don't have
one now but have had horses most of my life. I am currently training a SAR
dog. That's one area I haven't seen discussed on the list yet is horses
working around the sar dogs. We've had a search in the area where we packed
the dogs into the search area. They rode in the saddle with the rider. That
saved the dogs from a 10 mile hike before they even began to search. In our
county we're fortunate to have 4 sar dogs so we have gotten together with
the msar guys and done some good training with dog and horse interaction.

Keep up all the interesting postings as I've learned a lot from you all.

Thanks, Christy Matthews
Stillwater Co. SAR