msar-riders - [MSAR] Searching at Night?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Vince Hernandez" <vinceh1@amaonline.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Searching at Night?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:09:39 -0500

Our sheriff recently asked our team to begin brainstorming ideas to
address a reoccurring SAR issue that his department continues to
encounter. Many searches in our jurisdiction begin right before
dark. The scenario is - Person goes hiking shortly after noon, does
not return for dinner, family begins looking around campsite for an
hour or two, and as darkness falls begins to panic. They contact
authorities who arrive just in time to watch the sun go down. So my
question is . . . How, or Can you search in the dark? Please feel
free to include as much info as possible as we are going to compile
ideas and map out an SOP for our unit.

Vince Hernandez
Randall County Sheriff's Posse
Amarillo, Texas