msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR in CERT

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-L" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR in CERT
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:18:13 -0700

I'm in the process of attending a FEMA CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Train-The-Trainer course representing our county. (CERT provides free basic Urban SAR instruction at the community volunteer level.)  I think I startled a few IC-types - mostly Fire Dept - today when I mentioned that trained MSAR can be effective contributors at some disaster situations. Tomorrow I'll mention the reminder that Search Dogs are very useful in disasters and the community volunteers should be trained to preserve scent articles correctly - haven't seen that on their suggested training agenda (Ooops!) - and slip in that horses can be trained to air scent track. That should really roll some socks up and down! ;)

But this is a plug for all MSAR riders (all SAR personnel) to consider getting at least some CERT training, preferably higher levels of USAR training. Federal funding for the CERT programs has gone out to the states and been distributed to get the CERT program launched nationwide. Contact your local Fire Dept for information - they're usually the ones putting on the CERT program.

For those not familiar with the CERT program ...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,