msar-riders - [MSAR] SAR web site

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-L" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] SAR web site
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:07:51 -0700

I'm finally allowed to share the link to our county SAR web site! It will be a while before it gets moved to the Sheriff's Department web server - apparently they're doing some major revision. I make changes to the SAR web site on a regular basis, with plans to expand what we have online, and temporarily it can be viewed on:

I obviously have fun both as webmaster and primary photographer. <g> Lots of photos from various training and a few from SAR response when I am free long enough to grab the camera.

We've been called out 2-3 times a month for the past several months. Typically groundpounders (many are technical rescue trained), mounted and Search Dogs are called, with Helicopter support. All so far have been either Wilderness SAR response or swiftwater river drowning, with only 1 missing person down in the more populated valley.

All searches were resolved with the lost person found less than 24 hours from the time we were notified. We've finally recovered all 4 bodies of the various drowning victims (first call this year was an 11 yo boy on Mother's Day.) since the river levels went down a bit during a cooler spell. We roll Dive Team, Swiftwater Rescue and Technical Rescue personnel for the river calls.  Last body recovery we were up the mountain for Technical Rescue training (I'm top side team personnel) when the call came, so we just continued down the other side of the Sierra Nevada and did a simple controlled raft recovery.

No, I'm not in any of the photos - I'm behind the camera. I train to some level with all response teams, and respond with the Hasty Team assigned to IC because the Sgt wants my skill sets there. But my mare is being ridden by my son-in-law in MSAR training photos (he took her through again so I could get her on camera <g>) and my red Swiftwater gear is in the body recovery raft photo series so I'm kinda represented. I'll be Entrance Control for Cave Rescue training later this month ... but I told the Sgt. I'll send in my camera if they promise to bring it back. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,