msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Rough riding in snow

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Rough riding in snow
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:21:05 -0600

Philip Easley wrote:
>Something I also do during the Winter months is to use full
>rimmed shoes.

IME, regular (plain) web shoes are very slippery on many types
of footing, and contribute to snowballs. My SAR horse usually
wears rim (polo) shoes. On one mission this past winter, she
had bad snowballs, compared to 3 barefoot and one wearing rims.
Her farrier had just replaced her usual rims with webs. He is
very good but works on his own schedule and plan. My lesson
learned here was the necessity of more and better communication.

On the topic of shoeing, I recommend "Maximum Hoof Power: A
Horseowner's Guide to Shoing and Soundness" by Cherry Hill and
Richard Klimesh, CJF, RJF. Published in hard and soft covers.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico