msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR requirements..<G>

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR requirements..<G>
  • Date: Thu Feb 6 01:08:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>

> I noticed that the home site to this list mentions that some SAR
> trainings have MSAR components. Can anyone direct me to specific ones?

The closest conference to you in Big Bear would be the annual SAR City in
Barstow (at the college) every October. http://www.bcconline.com/sarcity/
still shows last year's info. Classes start Friday night, through Sunday
noon.

Location of the annual September CA OES-sponsored SAREX hasn't been
announced yet. Eventually it will appear on http://www.sarex.org/index.htm

The Western States SARCON near Reno is co-sponsored by CA and NV every
April. This year expanded to 3 days, All day Friday thru Sunday noon. No
horses, but great courses. http://www.washoesar.com/

And the annual NASAR conference is in Reno this year, in May.

> [...] Frustrating because I feel
> we are a useful component of many searches.

In some situations, not only useful but invaluable!

> I guess education is the key.

Education is indeed the key for MSAR, as it is for any SAR personnel! From
SAR management perspective, I guess the best way to describe MSAR - or how
it SHOULD be - is a well trained searcher ... who happens to be riding a
well trained horse. Same concept for Search Dogs ... a well trained searcher
... who happens to have a well trained search dog. So yes, after developing
the horse-rider skills suitable for SAR, your focus should be on expanding
your personal knowledge and skills. Depending on your areas of interest,
take courses in mantracking, technical rescue, add to your medical skills,
learn more about lost person behavior, etc.

Are you aware that you can do effective mantracking from your horse, and
sometimes that height is an advantage? Mounted ManTracking course is
available - the instructor is in Reno. Is your group trained and called for
evidence search? Hasty Search? Have you asked the IC / Ops what *other*
options for participation might be available with suitable training?

But also take a look at what more you might be able to do with your horse.
Is he trained to pack? If there is a need to transport an injured search
dog, would he handle it calmly? If a horse is needed to pack in/out a
litter, would he be calm and reliable? If you have someone injured you'll be
putting on your horse starting from a chair lift, will he stand quietly
while you ease the person into the saddle? How well trained to the rope is
the horse - can he be used as an anchor on a technical rescue if there
aren't any suitable anchors in that terrain? If you want a real challenge,
are you aware you can train your horse to track people like an air scenting
search dog? http://www.airscentinghorse.com/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA