msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: ICS and SAR group structure

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: ICS and SAR group structure
  • Date: Wed Feb 5 22:20:08 2003

> Locally, the Sheriff's Office provides the mobile CP (converted bus) for
> communications and Ops, along with SAR management. I'm the only volunteer
> with permanent CP assignment, although there might be volunteer resources
> available to run errands and perform other tasks.

Ours is set up like Jorene's.

> For a versatile team in the field, locally the management preference would
> be to have multiple skill sets on that team. The preferred skills for a
> single MSAR team on a remote Wilderness SAR might include mantracking,
> technical rescue, EMT / paramedic, packing. This would be in addition to
> solid groundpounder SAR skills and MSAR backcountry training. But you'd
> want each person to have at least basic training in the other skills in
> order to be able to knowledgably assist. So there are also degrees of
> cross-training.

Amen to the above! You never know when you might be unreachable even in
fairly easy country.

Our locality calls all SAR Tech II's out on searches- even if they are
with the mounted unit. Some of our group prefer not to respond to
non-mounted assignments but most are willing to do whatever is necessary
to facilitate a search. Our area covers a densely built but sparsely
populated area (tourist homes) as well as rough mountain terrain. We are
often called to do motor patrol in the area. We are a small organization
so this willingness to 'cross over' increases our effectiveness.

We have also been discussing another use for MSAR. Several of us have
pack animals and are experienced packers. It is possible for us to get
supplies into an area for a temp camp for ground pounders that makes
them more effective in a critical situation where time really counts. We
have begun the wheels turning to coordinate this if the need arises.

The problem that seems to arise most frequently in our area is that IC
is not aware of the capabilities, and restrictions, of mounted teams.
This is a matter of education and 'getting the word out' so that our
specific expertise can be better utilized in a team effort. Our local
area is getting much better and we have a lot of support.

Chris Pennington-Boggio
Big Bear, CA