msar-riders - [MSAR] CA MSAR / New to Group

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] CA MSAR / New to Group
  • Date: Tue Feb 4 23:31:02 2003

From: "Pennington-Boggio's" <pennbo@bbv.net>
> [...] I am a SAR Tech II. I am
> interested in any regulations pertaining to the state of California so I
> would really like to be in contact with Jorene! [...]

Hello, Big Bear! Do you plan to be in Reno the end of April for the SARCON?
If not, I'll likely be down in your neck of the woods at SAR City in Barstow
in October.

Feel free to tag me on private email for CA discussion. Are there others who
are interested in "just California" discussion? I'm gathering info to take a
run at OES to create statewide MSAR guidelines based on the new statewide
SAR guidelines, so I'd like to get input from all of you in CA. We'd need
support and collaboration in all counties with MSAR to make this happen, but
OES should be the vehicle to get official state blessings on this effort.
I'd also like to hear from adjoining states since sometimes border counties
respond over state borders. Campaign this loud enough and long enough, and
we could spread the effort across the country! ;)

> Primarily right now I am looking
> for any existing NASAR regulations pertaining to shoeing SAR horses

There are no national standards for MSAR through NASAR, or any other
organization I'm aware of. You'd be lucky to find a state with statewide
MSAR standards - as far as I know, that doesn't exist either.

I would think that the answer regarding shoes should fit the situation. We
have mounted response where riders might be on blacktop for a while, or
picking their way on steep mountain trails. Shoes are definitely advisable
for horse and rider safety in our situation. But I also know horses that are
used exclusively in the mountains, and have never worn shoes.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R