msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: list of training goals

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR Maintainer <msar@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: list of training goals
  • Date: Mon Dec 16 12:40:59 2002

Trails End Farm <trailsendfarm@erols.com> wrote:
>"I would like to form a list of behaviors to train in preparation for
>future sar work--ie agility training, exposure to things/objects that will
>be encountered.--Susan Martinez"
>
>Susan,
>
>I'm attaching an MSExcel file of our Horse Requirements checklist. TROTSAR
>(Maryland) helped the Virginia SAR Council formulate their mounted SAR team
>requirements based largely on our own profile of training and requirements.
>The resulting VSARC mounted team requirements include this checklist of
>things one may want to be able to do with one's mount.
>
>TROTSAR uses it as a preliminary assessment of potential new team members
>and their horses. I also throw in whatever else I can on a short trail ride
>(the charging barking dog, the motorcycle rev ving, any llama or sheep I
>can find).
>
>As pointed out by Heather concerning the phrase "bomb-proof," both this
>check list and anything else I can throw in to that introductory ride are
>measures both of the horse's reactions AND the rider's reactions to the
>horse. Does the horse bolt when the dog charges at us behind its fence? Or
>turn to face it? Does the rider lose it? Or remain calm and reassure the
>horse?
>
>The check list is a type of basic set of skills for horse and rider
>applicants. We try to enlarge on it through all our field trainings,
>working with area dog teams, park rangers, camping together and sharing
>ideas.
>
>Hope you find it useful.
>
>Suzanne Anderson
>Team Manager
>Trail Riders of Today Search Team

Suzanne, your MSExcel file was 666KB, which is too large for
distribution to MSAR-riders (it's current limit is 10KB). I
have turned the content of your file into a smaller, 1-page
PDF file named test1.pdf (13KB), on the MSAR website:

http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/test1.pdf

Great check-list, by the way!

Una

Maintainer,
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar and msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

PS to new subscribers: to read old messages see the archives
on http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/msar-riders/.

  • [MSAR] Re: list of training goals, MSAR Maintainer, 12/16/2002