monkeywire - [monkeywire] Firm drops ads with chimp in dreadlocks

monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: The #1 source for news about monkeys and apes

  • From: Carrie McLaren <stay.free AT verizon.net>
  • To: monkeywire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [monkeywire] Firm drops ads with chimp in dreadlocks
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:45:52 -0400

Firm drops ads with chimp in dreadlocks

06/15/2005
The Asahi Shimbun
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200506150138.html

In response to cries of racism, cosmetics maker Mandom Corp. has pulled TV and magazine advertisements featuring a chimpanzee in dreadlocks and Rastafarian clothing imitating movements of black actors.

In the commercial, several black actors use a cleaning product to wipe sweat from their faces.

The chimpanzee, dressed in a costume of gold, red and green, imitates their movements.

"We thought it would create a good atmosphere to have a chimpanzee among friends having fun in a party," said a company spokesman. "We never intended it to be prejudiced, but we concluded that the ad would be taboo based on an international point of view."

The Community, an Osaka-based human rights group, informed Mandom in a letter that the commercial was "an extremely insensitive and tasteless attempt at humor."

"Visually equating black men as `apes' or `monkeys' is a particularly egregious racial slur," the letter said.

As for the chimpanzee's costume, the group said: "Dreadlocks in the colors of red, gold, and green are Rastafarian religious symbols. The dressing up of a chimpanzee in such garb would be akin to dressing it up as a Buddhist monk or a Shinto priest."

The commercial had been broadcast since March.(IHT/Asahi: June 15,2005)

  • [monkeywire] Firm drops ads with chimp in dreadlocks, Carrie McLaren, 06/15/2005