microid - Re: [Microid] Encode URLs?

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "James Cridland" <james AT cridland.net>
  • To: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] Encode URLs?
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 23:26:29 +0100

Could I just double-check (since this mailing list sprung to life tonight and you've reminded me)...

The correct Microid for
http://www.mediauk.com/discussions/profile.muk?mode=viewprofile&u=1
and email address james AT cridland.net is...
mailto+http:sha1:05d7b7fe2c3a67fab3982b50c9a727c04c9aab9c

... correct? claimid.com and the microid.org website both claim this is correct.

I have four pieces of PHP, which you can see running at:
http://james.cridland.net/scratch/microid.muk
(and there are two more with the example given on the microid.org website). I'm aware two are entirely wrong, but thought I'd check.

None of the four for www.mediauk.com are returning anything starting 05d7.

What am I doing wrong? Keen to get this fixed as soon as possible; I want to promote microid to my users, now I've placed the new website live.

--
James Cridland
Director and Founder, Media UK

On 4/17/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter AT jabber.org> wrote:
David Koblas wrote:
> If I'm reading this thread correctly it sounds like people are proposing
> to double encode URIs before having their checksums  taken.

No no no. Never double-encode URIs.

> Section 5 of the spec says:
>    hash = algo(algo(EntityURI) + algo(EntityURI))
>
> It doesn't say:
>    hash = algo(algo(escaped(URI)) + ...)

But a URI must conform to RFC 3986.

> Fundamentally, the URL:
> http://www.mediauk.com/discussions/profile.muk?mode=viewprofile&u=1   is
> encoded per RFC 3986

You're right -- "?", "=", and "&" are used here in their reserved meaning.

> - section 3 -      URI = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?"
> query ] [ "#" fragment ]
> as soon as you start double encoding a URL you're in deep doodoo.

Agreed. I was wrong.

/psa