market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shredding leaves efficiently

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shredding leaves efficiently
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:14:13 -0500

Dorene,
Have been watching, then helping my father mulch with UNshredded leaves for 50 years, and doing my own plantings for 30 years.  With mixed hardwood leaves, mostly unshredded.

Yes shredded leaves take less space. And they don't blow as much.  But if you can get to them as needed in the center of your farm, and they largely will stay put, can you gather them as needed, and shred as needed, for intended use?

You want efficiency?  On our farm, chickens are our most efficient leaf shredders.  They delight in this, expressing their 'chicken-ness', and keeps them from being bored when ground is covered in snow or frozen.
Harvey Ussery uses WHOLE leaves as deep bedding for his poultry.

As for garlic emergence through whole leaves, if you mulch with more maple and hickory leaves and less oak in the mix, can pile deeper, as the former two are thinner leaves, and more easily penetrated by emerging garlic shoots.  Large oak leaves tend to mat together and can hinder garlic emergence.  But even shredded leaves can hinder garlic emergence, if too thick, or have formed an inter-locking layer.  Either way, I walk along and 'free' the occasional garlic shoot that is hung up in the leaves, relative to its neighbors.

Not that I want to take you and yours away from modern 'human-ness' of playing with purchased farm toys, such as your BCS  chipper/shredder.  Just suggesting you step back and consider what the animals or plants can do on their own, with a bit of management and observation on your part.

One more thought.  Few farmers actively fertilize wooded areas on their farms.  If removing many leaves, beware of nutrient cycles and potential nutrient loss, over time.  Of course, if livestock take shelter in the woods during parts of the year, they oft are taking nutrients in, in highly bioavailable forms.  A soil test from your woods can identify any trace nutrient deficiencies, some of which can be addressed with a hand spreader, without much cost or time.

Out to dump a load of leaves from nearby town, and pick up another. Can identify with Joel and Daniel Salatin, confessed "carbon fiends".
Richard Moyer
SW VA

Message: 2