market-farming - [Market-farming] Stihl Yard Boss Trimmer Attachment, Anyone?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Stihl Yard Boss Trimmer Attachment, Anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:11:40 -0500

On our farm frontage, we have a stretch of ditch and fence line that is ~450'
long. We've had it regraded several times, but it actually belongs to the
city, and they don't maintain it very well. It is too steep of a ditch grade
to mow safely with a tractor, and it is too rutted and uneven in places to
mow with a riding or push mower. Right now, we do what we can with a riding
mower and weed eat the rest with a Stihl FS110. It does great but gets heavy
to lug around, especially in Texas summer heat or if the native weeds and
grasses get too overgrown for the riding mower. We were hoping to make a
modest investment in something that might make this job a bit easier on the
back and shoulders. 99% of what grows here can be brought down with the weed
eater trimmer head. In other words, no need for a blade.

We already own a Yard Boss with the wheel set and cultivator
<http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/yard-boss/>, which we
really like for that job.

We were wondering if anybody has the trimmer attachment
<http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/accessories/yard-boss-attachments/fsmm/>
? How well does it work with the wheel set? According to the very few
reviews at that link, some people have had feeding problems. Since there are
so few posted reviews there, thought we'd check with The Collective. What
have been your experiences with this product? Just seems like pushing a
lighter wheeled tool over this rough area might be considerably easier than
slinging a regular weed eater over the whole thing.

Thanks in advance,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm