market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] price green tomatoe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] price green tomatoe
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 05:25:46 -0700

Here in the south, good quality green tomatoes are a good thing to have on your farm stand or the fresh market. Folks usually pay the same price as red tomatoes for green tomatoes. It could be a farmers market advantage or niche to have green tomatoes in a market that is flooded with red tomatoes. Markets are flooded with tomatoes this time of year (and okra now) hard to sell unless you have top quality, home grown, authentic smelling and looking tomatoes. We seem to have farmers reselling many commercial looking tomatoes at the farmers markets down here. Price ranges for tomatoes are 1.50 to 3.00 dollars per pound seldom more, seldom less, depending on the market. Hope this helps you from a different perspective. Green tomatoes are a favorite in SC.

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
South Carolina