market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm stand security now locally grown

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm stand security now locally grown
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:01:02 -0400

Is there a town or county buy-local movement in your area that you can sign on to? if not, are you interested in trying to get one started?

Around here, there's a "shop [local town or county] first" slogan; and various communities do varying degrees of publicity for their local products.

Also, many of the local farmers' markets require produce to be from their own county or an immediately adjacent county.

 Maybe you could frame your farm stand signage and publicity in one of those fashions -- "everything here is grown or made in X County", for instance.

You could also put the exact origin on signage for each product; and maybe for something like the potatoes a sign saying "grown on Y farm in cooperation with A farm, labor supplied by both farms"? If somebody asks for more detail, you could then supply it.

Just throwing out ideas here as they come to mind; apply your own judgement to them.