market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm stand security

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm stand security
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 08:45:41 -0400

We are looking to put in a brick and mortar operation on our farm once we get our honey processing and kitchen facility up and running (we were just site approved for septic so we are still a LONG ways off).  In the State of Ohio you are allowed up to 49% of the product you sell be from off-farm.  I plan on taking full advantage of that.  Now most of that product will be things that include ingredients FROM the farm but not all and all of the raw/fresh will be local (not auction) but 100% will not be mine.

We currently do several a things with our neighbor, including selling their sweet corn and them selling our honey (cash never changed hand we swap honey and corn).  We are joined at the hip so much as doing potatoes as a joint crop and everyone selling and taking a share.  We provided better equipment and they provided better, sandier soil.  Now we are growing about 6 different varieties.  I never once touched them on planting or harvesting end, but I sort bag and ship.  How do you describe that to someone interested in simply sourcing locally grown?

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855