market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] yellow non growing seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill & Izabella" <pureprairiefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] yellow non growing seedlings
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 19:37:12 -0600

Organic fertilizers need to be broken down by microbes and the microbes need nitrogen to make their bodies.  Since there is no nitrogen, they are taking it from the plants which turns them yellow.  If you really want to see this at work, add coir (coconut fiber) to your potting mixes.  All your plants will look like Charlie Brown Christmas trees after a few weeks. I poured almost straight ammonia on the soil to try to get enough nitrogen in the there. (microbes prefer their nitrogen as ammonia not as nitrates)

Last year our landlords well water became dramatically salty in a matter of four months.  In Oct, the EC reading was 300+ which is not too bad for well water and in February it was 1300.  We lost thousands of new starts to "damping off" but was probably an electrical burn to the roots.  We shlepped chlorinated city water  (EC reading of 200+) in buckets to the greenhouses and we were able to continue germinating new seeds.

Good luck!

Bill
Chicago with 18" of snow and -15 wind chill last Monday