market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] yellow non growing seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Susan Ventura <sue AT dragonfly-farms.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] yellow non growing seedlings
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:18:35 -0500

The plant based proteins in organic fertilizers (i.e. soybean meal, alfalfa meal) inhibit germination and can cause the seedling die off when they break down into nitrogen.  We had this problem when switching to a higher nitrogen based organic fertilizer a few years ago a 5-4-3 (North Country Organics Pro-Gro) fertilizer versus a 2-3-4 (North Country Organics Pro-Start).  We spoke with the manufacturers of the fertilizer and they indicated the above.   The fertilizer manufacturer said to water drench the plants to dilute/leach out the fertilizer that was there.  That did help prevent further die off, those that were already failing did still die.

Since that time we avoid organic fertilizers when germinating seeds and only apply at pot up time or apply after germination in small amounts.  This year we actually switched to a compost based potting mix (we used to only use sterile mixes) with good results so far.  Hoping to avoid some of the fertilizer issues we have had.

Hope this helps.

Sue Ventura
Dragonfly Farms