market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ehrlich <johnkaty AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] time budget info for various field crops?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 09:40:18 -0800

I usually crunch numbers in my head, when I get into my truck and drive,
after harvesting a crop.

The answer is usually the same for most crops down to the row foot. Much of
it depends on the expensive labour saving device I purchased, ie, a
transplanter or a harvesting device or new tractor. And then I have to
calculate in the 3 year amortization.

Either way, on 6 or so acres with 2 full time, it comes to about $20/hr, some
crops less and more. This is a good wage, considering, that I am my boss (or
my wife is), I work outside in the beauty of nature with no commute, I eat
like a King, and my children are raised on a farm. And usually cash is king.