market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tractor attachments for a small tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tractor attachments for a small tractor
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 17:58:08 -0800 (PST)

On the east coast we have an AgrSupply, Southern States and Tractor Supply. I have bought plenty of small attachments from these folks and the have worked out. You should have good luck with these attachments with a small tractor. I don't know how wide the rows you are trying to cultivate, but I have had good luck with spring tine cultivators in light soil, if the weeds are not too high. Another option for small gardens is getting a small tiller attachment for tractors like a Woods or Kuhn,discussed plenty on this site, and using it for cultivating always trying to add soil amendments and rotations between rows along the way. Again small weeds. I have more land than I can use, so I tend to use wide rows and space things out. If you also have this consider spacing your rows out and using a 4 foot disk harrow for cultivating. I have had fabulous success with this method.

Most of the folks on this web group garden or farm labor intensive on small plots. I am moving in this direction with small tractors versus using hand labor. So to answer your question look for new more economical places like aforementioned. There should be some type of guarantee with a purchase from a business. Alternatively look at buying a cultivator so you can move the cultivators sideways along the bar incase you don't have rows exactly situated. I bought two of these last year for about 500 dollars total. You need to be able to turn a hand wrench for this option.

Write back with specifics on what you are trying to do and your future desires.

Michelle H.
Romy Farms
South Carolina