market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cover oats etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cover oats etc
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 12:43:18 -0500

On Jan 3, 2014, at 12:09 PM, moon AT ceva.net wrote:

 Hi All,
I have used horse feed oats as cover, much cheaper then field, same.

I tried that one year. The feed oats had occasional corn kernels mixed through the batch; presumably not in enough quantity to be a problem for anyone using them as feed, but it was definitely a problem for me, as there was no way to find out if it was GMO corn so I had to presume that it was.

If you don't mind finding GMO's mixed into your cover crop, of course, then that's not a problem for you.