market-farming - [Market-farming] Garbanzo beans †o repel deer?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Garbanzo beans †o repel deer?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:09:24 -0500

Title: Garbanzo beans †o repel deer?
I was at a small farms agricultural conference organized by Virginia State University this past week.  It was mentioned in one of the breakout sessions that garbanzo beans can be planted around field borders to prevent deer from crossing.  Has anyone had experience with this?  How wide a strip would be necessary to plant in order to accomplish this?  Seems like this would be something the deer would feed on.  Maybe enough to satisfy their hunger to the point that they wouldn’t want to feed on the crops?  Ha?  If this would work it would be a heck of a lot more economical than building a deer fence, huh?

Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley
(where we killed five on a kill permit about a month ago, the neighbor has shot two during the bow and muzzle loader seasons, and I plan to go out this week with my trusty old twelve gauge and some 00 buckshot.}