market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ginger storage/market questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathryn Kerby" <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ginger storage/market questions
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 08:18:44 -0800

Beth, I don’t have any answers for you, but I also wanted to thank folks for sharing their experiences.  Ginger is a crop we haven’t tried yet, but my husband keeps begging me to do so (in all that spare time I have for learning about some new endeavor).  Beth, as you have climbed your own learning curve on this, have you found either in-print or online resources to help educate you along the way?  Our best successes seem to have come from IDing something relatively rare in our local markets, getting really really good with it, and then focusing on those half-dozen product lines rather than growing a little bit of a lot of things.  Maybe ginger would be a good specialty addition to that list. If I could get to the point where I felt like the investment of time/effort/energy was going to be worth it down the road.  A fair ways down the road, longer than most.  So I’ve been hesitant to start.  I’d be curious if you’re already at the point of having decided it was worth it.
Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA