market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cover Cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brian Luton <bcluton AT aol.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cover Cropping
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:41:33 -0400

Hi Andy,

I've really grown to love forage / 4010 peas and oats. They've done well for
me seeded around early to mid-August. They put on a lot of fall growth and
then winter kill reliably around here. They fix a good amount of nitrogen and
combined with the oats leave a good winter cover. From a soil building
standpoint they seem to do a good job. For me they are much more flexible
and forgiving in the spring. They incorporate easily and you can make a good
seedbed fast under less than ideal weather. They are really well suited to
early crops but maintain decent cover into mid to late May.(fields with a lot
of henbit, chickweed and/or other winter annuals might need to be plowed or
cultivated by early May to control seed production). This leaves a brief
fallow before establishing early summer crops and also helps warm up the
soil.

Any thoughts or questions let me know..... Good luck!

Brian