market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cover Cropping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cover Cropping
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:19:05 -0400

On 7/20/2013 at 11:15:33 AM, Andy Fellenz wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have ~ 4 acres that are in a summer buckwheat cover crop right now. My
> bees
> will be working the buckwheat shortly and then I'll be tilling it in. My
> plans for 2014 may include planting sweet corn and squash in this field.
> The
> ground is a shallow gravelly loam ~12" to limestone.
>

> What will be a good late summer/fall cover crop which will work well with
> planting corn and squash by the end of May next season?

Winter rye and vetch will work well. You can plant the seed in mid-August,
you'll get lovely lush growth in fall, and it will be ready to cut in
mid-May. You'll get a nice straw crop you can either take off, chop up and
till, or leave on the surface for mulch. The vetch will regrow a bit if you
don't till it in.

Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
Hopestill Farm